A common question that every developer has when discussing a project is “Which programming language should we use?“. Developers must keep in mind the following factors when choosing a programming language:
These three factors, if systematically thought through and put in place, will ensure smooth completion and delivery of the project.
Golang and Python are amongst the most advanced programming languages that have sparked interest in the developers’ community. Since Golang and Python are widely used in many application development environments these days, making a choice between the two often brings a challenge for the developers.
In this blog, we will compare the two programming languages, from a layman’s point of view, to possibly help developers decide which language is best for them.
But before we get into the comparison, if you are new to this, then let’s first try to understand these two programming languages from ground zero.
What is Golang?
Golang, also known as Go is a statistically typed, compiled open-source programming language developed by Google. The name of the language comes from its former domain name golang.org. First appeared in the year 2007, it was designed to replace conventional high-performance server-side languages like C++ and Java. Golang is widely used in microcontroller programming, games, and robotics. Go is extremely popular in terms of infrastructure. Kubernetes, Prometheus, and Docker are just a few of the popular infrastructure tools written in Go.
What is Python?
Python is a general-purpose high-level programming language. The language is also known as the ‘Scripted Language.’ The reason for this name is that it was intended for trivial purposes. First appeared in 1991, it is one of the fastest programming languages that emphasizes readability and simplicity. It is a great choice for beginners as it is considered as one of the most efficient and widely-applicable languages. Employed by tech-giant companies like Google, Facebook, Dropbox, Python language finds its application in Machine Learning, data science, web development, alongside all modern technology in the software Industry.
Features of Golang:
- Easy and readable code: Golang is a great language for beginners because its syntax is small, so you don’t have to spend time going through reference documentation. It’s clean and easy to read, which means you and others will be able to understand what you’re writing. The Golang developers add only those features to the language that are necessary and do not complicate the language by adding a plethora of features.
- Great Library: Golang standard library is a collection of essential packages that improve and extend the language. Golang has a robust set of library packages that make it easy to compose your code. These packages serve as additional programs that you can write and you don’t have to build your own packages or download packages others have published.
- Concurrency in Golang: Concurrency is another amazing feature that has helped Golang become popular. In Golang, concurrency refers to the ability for functions to run independently of one another. Golang offers a unique feature known as Goroutines. A Goroutine is a function or method that runs independently and concurrently with any other Goroutines in your program.
- Web Application Building: Golang has gained popularity as a web application development language due to its simple constructs and faster execution speed. Golang is a compiled language, so web applications written in it can run in any environment, including the cloud or any operating system. Golang enables developers to create highly scalable applications. These applications are simple to create and perform well right out of the box.
- Speed of Compilation: Many users favor Golang because its compilation and completion times are significantly faster than those of other well-known programming languages. Golang is compiled to machine code, it will naturally outperform languages that are interpreted or have virtual runtimes.
Features of Python:
- Comparatively less complex: Python is a powerful coding language that is also simple to learn. Python is widely regarded as one of the most simple programming languages to learn for a beginner. It is also a very user-friendly programming language.
- Free and Open Source: Python is developed under an OSI-approved open source license, which allows it to be freely used and distributed, even for commercial purposes. Python is available for free on the official website.
- Object-Oriented Language: One of Python’s most important features is object-oriented programming. In Python, object-oriented Programming (OOPs) is a programming paradigm that employs objects and classes in programming.As a result, creating and utilizing classes and objects is a breeze.
- High-Level and Interpreted Language: Python is a high-end language. Python is also an interpreted language, which means that a Python program’s source code is converted into bytecode before being executed by the Python virtual machine.
- Portable language: Python can run on a variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, UNIX, and Macintosh. Its programmes are compatible with any modern computer operating system.
Major differences between Golang & Python:
|Statically typed language
|Dynamically typed language
|Depends on developers
|Fully supports concurrency
|Does not support concurrency
|Easy to understand
|Not when going through someone’s work
|Comparatively not very quick
Conclusion: Which is better?
Based on the information presented above, it is safe to say that both of these programming languages have advantages and disadvantages over one another.
But When productivity is in question, Golang might have an upper hand. That is because the syntax is limited, and the libraries are much lighter; it is presumably easier to complete tasks in enough lines of code because there is less code to write. Golang is a compiled programming language, which is why it is well-known for its ability to develop apps as quickly as any other programming language.
So here’s the final verdict: It totally depends on your project complexity, requirement, dynamics and everything related. Based on these factors you can ask the web development agency you are working or want to work with, or your developer, and see what they have to say. Obviously, honesty is expensive, you can not expect it from everyone.
However, if you feel stuck, just reach out to us for an honest opinion and we will be happy to guide/advise you without any charges irrespective of whether you are working with us or not. We would be more than happy to serve as a part of giving something back to the developers/entrepreneurs community.
Zeksta technology is a well-established software development company in India. We have talented Golang and python developers with years of experience under their belt. We also provide Golang and python development services at an affordable cost.
If you are looking to hire a team of Golang and python developers for your next project, look no further. We follow a flexible engagement as well as a payment model that gives you flexibility throughout the development process.